Here Be Taverns is a random generator for RPG inspiration. I originally built it in 2015. It was my first side project. Since then, the project has remained untouched...
I've learned a few things about building great web apps since 2015. I've also been diving deeper into what Game Masters are looking for in a random generator. It's time to bring that knowledge to bear and launch a superior Version 2 of Here Be Taverns.
The project will be a complete, ground-up rewrite. As a web app it will be fast, approachable on any device size, and easy to use. As a tool for game masters, it will have to work in two important contexts:
- Provide inspiration between games
- Provide instant, useful content during a game when players go off the beaten path.
Here Be Taverns 2 will have 6 major generators
- Story Hooks
In addition to the generators, there will be a few new controls to help get the most out of the content.
- Filter all content by mood and locale to help cater to your game's setting.
- Pin anything. This will help you keep track of random content you liked while re-rolling the rest.
- An accessible random seed. This will allow you to share a link with someone else and ensure the entire page stays exactly the same.
- Optimization for printed pages. In case you like to roll old school.
There should also be a few fun surprises I'll tell you about later 😉
Partnering with the community
The best part of Here Be Taverns 2 is that it will showcase content from the TTRPG creator community. I have handpicked some of the best game masters and content creators I could find to help guide the direction of each generator.
Each of the 6 major generators will be curated by one of these partners to ensure that the content is the best you can find anywhere.
I look forward to sharing their names once details are finalized. (Edit: I have announced the creators I'll be working with on this blog post.)
Follow the progress
I will be regularly sharing progress on the project on my newsletter. Subscribe if you want to look behind the curtain as I make design decisions, build features, and bring the project to life.
You can also see occasional update videos on my Youtube Channel.